UNITED STATES AGENCY FOR INTERNATIONAL DEVELOPMENT (USAID)
As the largest bilateral aid agency in the world, the quality of USAID’s data publication makes a huge difference to the state of global aid transparency. In the 2018 Index, USAID moved up to the ‘good’ category from ‘fair’ in 2016. USAID is now publishing directly to the IATI Registry, allowing it to post more regularly and to correct its own data.
Publish What You Fund welcomes this improvement and now calls on USAID to:
- Ensure that activity dates, as well as activity status, are regularly updated and stated correctly.
- Ensure that the information provided on multi-country programmes, in particular, is consistent in the data and documents available.
- To focus on systematically publishing other information, such as co-operative agreements and contracts, which contain significant and useful information.
- To prioritize the implementation of its Development Information Solution (DIS), allowing it to coherently consolidate, share, and use the full breath of its aid information.
- To take responsibility to promote the use of the data they publish: internally, to promote coordination and effectiveness; and externally, to explore online and in-person feedback loops, including at country-level.