Date: 23 May 2016
Time: 11.00–12.30 EET
Location: Rumeli Hall 7, Lütfi K?rdar Convention and Exhibition Center
This World Humanitarian Summit side event will look at how the humanitarian community can achieve increased financial transparency, and how better transparency improves operational effectiveness, accountability and integrity.
The event is co-hosted by Publish What You Fund, alongside Development Initiatives, the International Aid Transparency Initiative (IATI), OCHA, , UNICEF and Transparency International.
Format and speakers
A series of presentations and discussions by the panellists will be followed by a question and answer session from the floor.
Chair Judith Randel, Strategic Advisor, Development Initiatives
- Sima Sami Bahous, Assistant Secretary General, UNDP
- Jelte van Wieren, Director for Humanitarian Aid, Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Netherlands
- Dr Abdulfatah Mohamed, Advisor, Qatar Ministry of Foreign Affairs
- Anne-Birgitte Albrectsen, CEO, Plan International
- Bibhusan Bista, CEO, Young Innovations
- Dina Abdel-Fattah, Senior Associate, Development Gateway
- Samuel Kimeu, Executive Director, Transparency International Kenya
Approaches and topics under discussion include:
- Sharing the experiences and views of humanitarian actors, implementing agencies, recipient governments and civil society partners on how transparency measures can improve humanitarian action – including through publication of data to the International Aid Transparency Initiative (IATI) Standard
- Consolidating political will and ensuring commitment and concrete actions and agreements on the part of representative organisations to improve the transparency, integrity and accountability of humanitarian financing
- Discussing the challenges faced regarding data quality and accessibility, and the measures available to ensure that data and information are widely published to show how funds are ultimately used.
Follow the discussion on Twitter at #WHStransparency