The Visualisation Tool for IATI Organisation File Data
IATI Decipher is a new browser extension that visualises IATI organisation file data. For the first time, users unable to read xml code can access over 22,300 strategy documents and $2.6 trillion of global donor budget information.
IATI Decipher enables users to quickly visualise all of an organisation’s strategic data on the IATI Registry web pages. It automatically translates the raw IATI XML on the Registry into graphs and charts and makes the strategic documents searchable.
IATI Decipher provides access to:
- Donor budgets by fiscal year
- Donor budget by sector by fiscal year
- Donor budgets by recipient country by fiscal year
- Donor budgets for a recipient country by sector
- Links to donor documents, such as country strategies
Launched in November 2018, we developed IATI Decipher to make previously incomprehensible information accessible for users. It forms part of our strategy to make aid and development finance data truly usable, and was a commitment of our US Foreign Assistance Project.
How to use IATI Decipher
- Install the browser extension in either Google Chrome or Firefox. It’ll take less than a minute.
- Once installed, you will see a button featuring the stylised IATI “i” logo in the top right of the browser bar.
- Click this button and a drop down menu appears. You can search for individual IATI publishers – for example USAID — regardless of what webpage you are on at the time.
- Click the publisher’s name and you’ll be taken to a webpage where you can access their data.
- To see the raw XML data you can click download, however with IATI Decipher installed you can click the big red visualise button to visualise the data.
- This will give you access to a new interface, where you have the opportunity to explore past, present and future total, regional and country budgets, disaggregated by budget line or country (where the publisher provides this information). Expenditure can be analysed in the same fashion.
- Documents including global and country strategies, policies and evaluations are made available through a searchable library function.
If you have any comments or feedback on IATI Decipher please get in touch.
There is nowhere else you can access this information this easily