DEPARTMENT OF STATE
The Department of State is responsible for the implementation of US foreign policy and supports its foreign assistance programs, including those of USAID and PEPFAR. It leads on the design and implementation of the Foreign Assistance Dashboard (foreignassistance.gov). In the 2018 Index, US-State places at the top of the ‘fair’ category.
Publish What You Fund calls on State to:
- Ensure to get the basics right, such as providing complete and non-technical titles and descriptions.
- Ensure that activity status and activity dates are regularly updated and stated correctly.
- Prioritise the comprehensive publication of key documents such as country strategies, evaluations and pre-project impact appraisals.
- Develop a standard foreign assistance management and business process, which would ensure accuracy and consistency of the data published across Bureaus.
- Take responsibility to promote the use of the data they publish: internally, to promote coordination and effectiveness; and externally, to explore online and in-person feedback loops, including at country-level.